Most travelers primarily use hotels and hostels for accommodation. However, that is quickly changing. Especially with other options out there like Couchsurfing and Airbnb where you can stay somewhere cozier, homier and sometimes cheaper than a hotel or hostel. We are avid users of both Couchsurfing and Airbnb, but as of lately, more Airbnb.
Since we have been both Airbnb hosts and guests for over five years now, we can tell you at least 9 reasons why you too should use Airbnb while traveling.
1.) A Local Experience
When renting an Airbnb rental, you might have the opportunity to stay in a local neighborhood, get insider knowledge about your destination, see your destination through the eyes of a local, and get a small glimpse of how locals live. Dine where locals dine, feel more connected to where you are traveling too, go off the beaten path, talk and have fun with a local. There is no reason to settle for the cookie cutter hotel experience when you can trade it in for a more local and authentic experience.
2.) You Have a $35 Off Airbnb Coupon Code
Oh, you didn’t know you had a $35 off Airbnb coupon code? Well now you know. By reading this awesome article, you got yourself a $35 off Airbnb coupon you can use during your Airbnb stay, even if you are not a first time Airbnb user (read this article for tips on how to use the code if you are not a first time Airbnb user).
3.) Privacy on a Backpackers’ Budget
Don’t get me wrong, hostels are great, especially for the social aspect. However, there are times when you need a little peace and quiet. When the time does come around and you don’t want to share a room with 10 strangers, and you want some me time without paying for the hotel price tag, turn to Airbnb. Which brings me to my next point.
4.) It’s Cheaper Than You Think
Airbnb rentals are not just ideal for luxury and business travelers, but also for budget travelers. All you have to do is take advantage of Airbnb’s price range filter and you can rent a room, couch, space for a tent, or an entire apartment on even a backpackers budget. Once we stayed in a beautiful bungalow with a private bath and kitchen in Pai, Thailand for just $13 USD a night! And that’s the price for two people. Even budget travelers like us can feel like luxury travelers with Airbnb.
5.) Airbnb Has Your Back
It’s completely understandable why some people would be uncomfortable renting an Airbnb rental from someone they don’t know. However, Airbnb does a great job limiting safety concerns and risk by having the following features.
- Verified IDs: Hosts are required to verify themselves by providing identification to Airbnb. Hosts can also prove their identity by verifying their email address, phone number, driver’s license and even social media accounts.
- Reviews: Reviews are a great way to get a feel for a listing and the host reputation especially since neither host nor guest see each other’s review until both reviews are posted. This allows the guest and host the opportunity to give honest reviews without feeling the pressure to please the other party.
- Messaging: Get to know the host a little more beyond their profile and reviews by messaging them. Airbnb allows you to message a host without booking the rental space. Good Airbnb hosts will answer all your questions.
- 24/7 Support Services: Airbnb has a 24/7 hotline which can serve as a safety net just in case something goes wrong during your stay.
- Secure Payment Platform: You don’t need to worry about random people having your personal information, as all payments go through the Airbnb system. Also, the host is not paid until 24 hours after your arrival.
- Verified Photos: Verified listing photos show that an Airbnb photographer has personally been to the listing and taken shots of the rental space. That way you know you will be staying in a place that looks just like the pictures.
You can learn more about Airbnb security features here.
6.) Rental Diversity
There is no Airbnb listing that looks or feels the same as no one home is ever the same. If you feel like living like royalty or splurging a bit, you can do that and stay in cool and unique places like treehouses, bungalows, castles, lighthouses, yachts, boathouses and even penthouses. The possibilities are endless.
7.) Home Away From Home
No matter how hard a hotel tries to make those gray painted walls and dull looking rooms cozy and homey, it will still have the hotel smell and synthetic vibe. With most Airbnb rentals you will get the cozy and homey feeling and sometimes feel right at home.
8.) Kitchen for Cooking
As a celiac, having a kitchen to cook my own meals is crucial. It saves me the headache of not having to worry about cross contamination in hostel kitchens where bread and pasta rule the counter tops.
9.) Great for Group Travelers
Traveling with a family, friends or as a couple? Rent an entire apartment on Airbnb. That way, everyone can be together and get the privacy you need for a cheaper price than staying in multiple hotel rooms. Not to mention you can divide the cost, helping you save money during your trip.
Using Airbnb while traveling can definitely help to maximize your experience, as Airbnb rentals have benefits hotels and hostels don’t. We hope these 9 reasons have convinced you to think of using Airbnb when looking for a place to stay while planning your trip. We can’t say enough about Airbnb and how great it can be for your travels. Don’t believe us? Give it a try! You won’t regret it:)
Still in the planning stage for your trip? Don’t forget to check out our ultimate packing list for suggestions on what to pack for your next adventure.
Inspired? Pin this for later…
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, we earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Affiliate links help pay for this site and keep the content free for you to read. We will never recommend products we do not believe in.