This post is to help you get a feel of how much things cost in Jamaica, so you have a general idea of whether you are paying the close to right amount i.e the local price, or the tourist price. Keep in mind that things in touristy areas (especially in Negril and Ocho Rios) tend to be more expensive than the prices listed here.
Things To Know:
1. If things are priced in US dollars, know that you are in an expensive area in Jamaica.
2. Again, prices in touristy areas are jacked up by at least 30 – 40%.
3. Jamaica’s currency is called the Jamaican dollar but the locals simply refer to it as dollars. The bank notes are in 50s, 100s, 500s, 1000s, 5000s (rare).
4. US dollars are widely accepted on the island but you will pretty much always pay more than if you paid in Jamaican dollars.
5. The exchange rate while we were in Jamaica was about ~J$117 to US$1.
6. The best printed travel guide for Jamaica is Lonely Planet Jamaica.
7. Use Booking.com to get the best rates for your hotel stay.
8. Going to Jamaica for the first time? Check out our top travel tips for Jamaica here.
Jamaican food is famous for its tasty, spicy flavors so you will be in for a culinary treat. Below are the prices of a few must-eat dishes in Jamaica.
- Ackee & Saltfish = J$250 – 400
- Stew Chicken or Beef = J$350 – 450 (This is usually the cheapest meal on the menu.)
- ¼ Jerk Chicken = J$400
- ¼ Jerk Pork = J$600
- Jerk Fish or Lobster = J$1000+
- Seafood Dishes = J$600 – 1000+
- Sugar Cane = J$50 for a small bag / J$100 for a large bag
- Gizzada = J$50 for 2
- Jamaican Patty = J$130
- Coco Bread = J$50 – 75
- Cheese & Bun = J$90 – 100
- Coconut Drops = J$50
Beer, rum, coffee and coconut water, no matter your taste, Jamaica has it all. Below are the average prices for some of the most popular drinks.
- Small bottle of water J$80 / 1.5 liter water bottle = J$120 / 5 liter water jug = J$315
- Local Beer (Red Stripe) = J$250
- Coconut Water = J$100
- “Flask” of Liquor = J$400 – 500
- Blue Mountain Coffee = US$15/lb
From cheap hostels and budget hotels to beautiful Airbnbs and all inclusive resorts, Jamaica has all kinds of accommodation options available. So no matter your travel style you’ll be sure to find the perfect place to stay. We have found that Booking.com offers the best hotel deals on the island.
- Hostel = US$15 – 20
- Budget Hotel = US$25 – 50
- Mid-Range Hotel = US$50 – 150
- All Inclusive Resort = US$200 – 400+
The best way to get around Jamaica is by route taxis. Route taxis are cheap and chaotic but you can go around the whole island in them. There is also a bus called Knutsford Express that goes to all the major towns in Jamaica. If you have the money and want more privacy you can hire a private taxis to take you around the island but keep in mind that they cost significantly more than the regular route taxis.
- Route Taxi within Towns = J$100 – 200
- Route Taxi between Towns = J$400 – 600
- Private Taxi = US$25 – 200+
- Blue Lagoon: Free
- YS Falls: US$17.50
- Dunn’s River Falls: US$20
- Reach Falls: US$10
- Rio Grande Bamboo Rafting: US$70 for 2
- Bob Marley Museum: US$20
- Weed = J$50 small bag (2 joints) / J$100 large bag (4 joints)
- Rolling paper = J$50
- Lighter = J$50
Hopefully, this will give you a general idea of what things cost in Jamaica and help you budget your next trip there. Once you are on the island, just stay away from smooth talking vendors who try to rip you off. If their prices seem outrageous compared to the prices on this list, bargain with them and come to an agreeable amount. If they don’t budge, go to the next vendor. It is as simple as that :D
Did we miss anything? Let us know below. We are all about helping you stretch your dollar.